Saturday, May 26, 2012

Kitchen Reno: The Reveal

I'm finally delivering on those promised pictures of the new kitchen! It's finally finished, but before we get to the new kitchen, take a quick look at what we started with:





And here is the finished product:


 So here's the rundown of what all we did:

  • Got new appliances
  • Had the cabinets painted *we did not trust ourselves to do this, so paid to have it done
  • Added backsplash *Derek and his dad did that - they did an awesome job
  • Took out our crazy ceiling thing and replaced the fluorescent lights with canned lights
At least those are the big things. Here are some more detailed pictures.


Our cabinet guy added this little raised bar area on the back of the island.


He also added legs to our island, bead board to the sides of the island and the sides of all the cabinets, as well as trim.



This is my favorite view. I love the stove with the backsplash, microwave and shelf with my cookbooks. Tony the cabinet guy built that shelf as well.


New lighting

We decided to use what was the back of the doors as the new fronts, and added hardware and got new hinges.



Here's a close up of the backsplash. I like it alot :)

And here's one more of the new bar area. This is the new wall Tony built on the back of the island. We got a scrap piece of granite that we were able to get cut to the right size, and Tony added those corbels to hold it up.
So...there it is! I couldn't be happier with it. I'm glad we tried to do some things ourselves, like the backsplash and the new lights over the island, but I'm also thankful that we paid to have the cabinets done. Tony did such a great job with all the extra little details, and that raised bar on the back of the island was his idea. I wasn't sure about it at first, but now, it's one of my favorite things. So it was a trade off. We could have painted the cabinets ourselves and saved a lot of money, but I don't think it would look even close to as good as it does. Also, it was really nice having someone who does kitchens for a living to help make design decisions. Overall, it wasn't the cheapest kitchen renovation, but we could have spent a lot more money. Had we purchased new cabinets or countertops we could have easily spent 2-3 times as much as we did. 

Wanna come over and I'll make you dinner?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love it! It looks sooo good!

Jennifer said...

Wow! It looks great!!

Jessica said...

That looks amazing! You guys did such a great job!

Clinton and Randi said...

ANNE!!! Your kitchen looks awesome! I absolutely love it!!! WOW! I wish I could come over and have you make me dinner! (As long as you and Derek are finished with your Whole 30.. I am not sure I am hardcore as you all :)

Callie said...

Oh, it's BEAUTIFUL, Anne! It turned out so good!

Chris said...

Hi Anne, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/