Friday, May 21, 2010

Not So Ordinary

Earlier this week I read an article about a senior in high school who is coming to Kentucky next year to be a part of the basketball team. He was born with a spinal deformity, and is not even 4 feet tall. But next year he will be a manager for Kentucky's men's basketball program. The article can be found here and is a really great read. As I was reading through the story of this boy's life, there were two sentences that really stuck out to me:

"That's when it dawned on Lipson that he wouldn't get to live an average life. He was being called to do much, much more."

These 2 sentences rocked my world. They have stuck with me all week and have really changed the way I have been thinking about things. You see, I have this picture in my mind of what I want my life to look like. And if you were to open up my head and be able to see the way I picture things turning out, it looks pretty much like your average life, with some Jesus thrown in there (volunteering at church, Bible study, leading young life, etc.) But when I read a story like this about someone who doesn't have the option to have an average life, and see what he has done and the impact he has had in his 18 years of life, I begin to realize that what I envision as being the perfect life is maybe not so much.

I wouldn't wish for a spinal deformity, but at the same time I wonder what it would take to keep me from living the average life that I feel like I  live sometimes. I feel like God has really been teaching me recently that things that the world tells us are horrible, often times end up being the biggest blessings. I have lived a charmed life. The worst thing that has happened to me is when my high school boyfriend of 4 years and I broke up in college. Seriously, that's it. You can go ahead and laugh at me, but it's true. I've practically skated through life and I know how blessed I am. But at the same time, I feel like because of this lack of adversity, I haven't had many chances to live a life that is much, much more than average.

So I'm not really sure how to end this. I am definitely not asking for bad things to happen in my life. But I am asking that God would somehow give me courage/boldness/desire/strength/not-sure-what-exactly to live a life that is much, much more than average. I just have NO IDEA what that looks like.

2 comments:

carissa said...

wow... what a beautiful story! i love that quote from the article - what an inspiration!

Kristin said...

Hmmm...good thoughts. Know that God will bring you what you need, when you need it, to refine your soul! Hope you have a wonderful weekend planned!