Sunday, August 9, 2009

An Eventful Weekend

This past weekend was very eventful. Our friends Cory and Dana tied the knot on Saturday night, my friend Kari had a fabulous wedding shower and Derek and I got to experience a small taste of parenthood by having to take care of a very sick puppy.

On Friday night Derek and I returned home from our friend Ryan's birthday party, walked into our house, looked at each other, crinkled our noses, and asked each other, "What is that smell?" I'll spare you the details of what that smell was, although you may be able to guess. Our puppy wasn't feeling so hot, so we spent the rest of our evening cleaning Moose's crate, and the carpet and walls around it. Luckily for you I don't have pictures to document our evening, however I will give you a rather humorous mental image of myself at 5:30 on Saturday morning, wearing a mid-calf length bath robe, Derek's tennis shoes, and a bandanna around my face (bad-guy style from old Western movies) to keep me from gagging, carrying a bag of poopy clorox wipes from having to clean Moose's cage AGAIN. With that, I will move on to higher points of the weekend.

Saturday night we attended the wedding of Dana Hinkle and Cory Burns, friends from Northern Kentucky. Funny story about how we met. Dana and I met my freshman year of college in weightlifting class. Every Monday, Wednedsay and Friday, Dana, her best friend Heidi and I lifted weights together. Fast forward three years to my senior year of college when Derek and I had just started dating. He took me up to Northern Kentucky to go to a show for the band that his older brother is in. Surrounded by a bunch of people I didn't know, I got so excited when I saw Dana, someone I acutally knew. I proceeded to be a polite girlfriend and introduce her to Derek, only to find out that she was dating Cory, Derek's older brother's best friend, and that she was friends with Derek's whole family. I felt really cool. So here we are several years later, celebrating the joyous occasion of Cory and Dana's wedding. It was a beautiful wedding and was so fun to get to see Northern Kentucky friends that we don't get to see often. I wasn't able to get a great picture of the happy couple due to lighting issues and not really understanding how my camera works. But here is a picture of Derek and I at the wedding:

Another highlight from the wedding is I got to wear one of my favorite pairs of shoes that matches with very few outfits, so I felt very happy all evening that I was wearing them:


Also, definitely the cutest highlight of the night was that our little nephew Henry was the ring bearer. He can bearly walk and was precious as he teetered down the aisle. Here is a picture of him hitting the dance floor in his precious little tux:


He is too cute. In other wedding related news I also attended Kari's bridal shower today. The girls who put it on did a great job. It was really beautiful and I am so excited for Kari to get married. Here is a picture of me, Kari and Traci at the shower. The three of us lived together for 2 years in college and I love them both a lot!


Also, because Kari is leaving Lexington :( Derek and I wanted to get her a going away present. Derek is really crafty at heart, but because he is a boy he lacks the ability to actually be crafty. But he came up with the idea of making her a candle holder with 2 Corinthians 2:15 on it, that says "For we are the aroma of Christ..." So since I am the girl in the relationship, even though I am not crafty at heart, it was up to me to figure out how to make Derek's idea into a reality. So I thought I would show you all my first attempt at craftiness.


She may have just been being nice, but Kari seemed like she liked it. (It's not super in focus, but again, I don't really know how to work my camera - but you get the idea.) I'm just glad that it turned out somewhat how I envisioned. I feel like the gift doesn't do justice to express to Kari how much we love her and will miss her, but I'm not sure that there is a gift that does. Luckily I have been able to see Kari somewhat regularly since she has moved back to Louisville, but once that changes it's going to be very hard. I am going to miss her lots. But before we can get all sad we need to celebrate the fact that she is getting MARRIED!!!! So I will end this blog on a happy note with best wishes to her and Stephen.

No comments: