Tuesday, September 6, 2011


I'm really hoping to get back to blogging more regularly. And now that I'm not leading young life I should have more time to. I already have so many thoughts, emotions, struggles going on in my mind and it's only been a week. When you stop doing something you have done that has taken up a significant amount of your time, energy and self for the last 10 years of your life, it is hard. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal. I almost don't know where to begin, so for right now I will leave it.

I hope everyone had a great long weekend. I got to have gum surgery on Thursday afternoon, so I spent my weekend recovering from that. It was recently brought to my attention that the gums covering my lower canine teeth had receded to the point that they really no longer existed. So it was recommended that I have a gingival graft. Basically they took tissue from the roof of my mouth, removed it and grafted it over my teeth where my gums were missing. I guess somehow the existing tissue will bond to it or something and I will have gums again. The procedure itself wasn't horrible, although it wasn't completely painless either. You have the option of being sedated, but I didn't really want to do that. Luckily they cover your eyes so you can't see what is going on, which I think is really smart, because when I saw the amount of blood that was everywhere after the procedure, I was glad that I didn't know that was going on during it.

Recovery hasn't been too bad either. They gave me a prescription for vicodin, and I took some before the numbness of my mouth wore off and once more before bed, but the next morning, the pain was really pretty minimal so I decided not to take it, and while there was definitely some pain for several days afterward, it wasn't unbearable. The worst part was the bleeding. For some reason in the middle of the night after surgery my mouth bled for a couple of hours. It was fine for a few days and then last night, more bleeding. I'll spare you the details, as it was pretty gross, but that was really the only complication. Overall, the procedure wasn't horrible. So if you every have to do it, don't stress. Just be prepared to eat lots of soft food and know that you're mouth will be a little sore for a few days, and expect a lot of bleeding.

So, that was my fun 4 day weekend. At least the weather wasn't too great, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything major. It was 100 degrees Friday and Saturday and then rained all day Sunday and Monday, making the couch not a bad option. I know I told a few of you about it before hand and I appreciate your prayers. This definitely was not as bad as I was afraid it was going to be.
Let me know what fun things you did over the weekend, I would love to hear about something much more fun that gum surgery!


Jen said...

friend! thank you so much for writing this. i have to have the same thing done [someday] says the dentist and i was terrified. ths made me feel much better!

glad you're doing ok friend :)

Randi.Cariella said...

Anne- I totally understand how you feel about not leading anymore. If you ever want to talk, let me know!

You might be the bravest person I know going through a procedure like that! You are a trooper!