Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Garden Update

We're about a week into the garden and I thought I would give you a little update on how its doing. Most things that we planted seem to be pretty happy in their new homes, with a few exceptions.

1. We lost a blueberry plant. No idea what happened to it. We started out with 4, now we have 3. Also, I need to put some mere acid on the blueberry plants. They like very acidic soil and while our soil is somewhat acidic, it's not quite enough, so I will buying some of that tonight to put on them so hopefully they start to look a little happier.

2. The cucumbers aren't looking so good. One plant lost its leaves and is just a stem, and the other one is looking a little puny. I may just buy some cucumber seeds and try again.

The good news is the herbs, strawberries, broccoli, lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers are all looking good. The zucchini plant has already sprouted some new leaves.

In the non-vegetable gardens, things are starting to look good too. Our weeping cherry tree has already bloomed. Derek took a few photos last week as it was nearing the end of its bloom.



Also, our lilac bush is blooming. Here are a couple pictures. These are also from last week but it's still going strong.


We have peonies that look like they will bloom soon. I can't wait to share pictures of those. Also, our azaeleas are trying to bloom but I think they get too much shade. Oh well. I'll share pictures of everything as they bloom. I love spring and flowers!

4 comments:

carissa said...

so sorry you lost a blueberry plant! how strange!!! so glad the strawberries are doing well! they would be most important to me. : ) the lilac bush is just stunning!

Katie said...

our lilac bush doesn't like us :( it's nice to see what one is supposed to look like! you must have a green thumb!

Tracy said...

Your azaeleas and hydrangeas will appreciate the miracid also!

Kristin said...

Sounds like things are going well in the garden! Congrats! Your weeping cherry is just gorgeous! I also enjoyed your most recent post. Good words to think about. Both of these posts together remind me of the phrase "Bloom Where You're Planted". -