Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Weekend Highlights

Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope you all had a great labor day weekend. We had a wonderful time hanging out with family. Of course I forgot my camera, so I have no new pics of my adorable nephews :(  I really need to do a better job of taking pictures.

Anyways, I had Friday off, making this a 4 day weekend, which I was super pumped about. I spent Friday doing some much needed studying, and Friday evening we headed up to Northern Kentucky. On Saturday we went to Brookeville Lake. My sister in law Kayla's family and a whole bunch of other families (including Derek's best friend Bryan's family, our friend Andrea's family and about a million other families) all go camping at this lake every year for Labor Day weekend. We did not join in on the weekend full of camping, but we did join in the fun Saturday for their annual cornhole tournament. This tournament is serious business. There were a little over 70 people that participated (girls and guys put their name in a hat and random partners are drawn) with probably around 10 cornhole sets and it lasted hours. I was paired with a guy I had never met before and we actually managed to make it to the final four teams in the winners bracket. While I would have loved to win the $140 prize, I was pretty satisfied with our performance. Mostly it was just fun to enjoy the beautiful day outside with friends and family. This picture pretty much sums up the cornhole tournament (stolen from Kyle Dorsey's facebook photos).



Sunday was spent at Derek's parents house with all the brothers, wives, nephews, etc. Oliver is definitely getting bigger, and he is such a sweetheart. I could just hold him forever. And Henry is developing such a little personality. He cracks me up. Henry is in the beginning stages of potty training, so whenever it looks like he might need to use the restroom we all try to encourage him to use the "big boy potty". So Sunday we are all sitting around on the porch and its looking like he might be trying to go #2. So we ask him if he needs to use the potty. At first he assures us that he does not. But everyone keeps telling him how great it would be if he did use the big boy potty. So Henry stands up, throws his hands up in the air and says, "Come on everybody! I'm gonna poop in the potty!" and proceeded to head in the house, wanting us all to follow him and be supportive of him going the bathroom. He really is hilarious.

We celebrated my birthday on Sunday as well (since I haven't been up to NKY in a while) and I got some more gift cards to put towards a new computer that we hope to purchase soon.

Everyone came back over for lunch on Monday before we headed back to Lexington. Derek's younger brother Kevin and his wife Kayla are getting ready to move to Indiana, Pennsylvania in a couple weeks, where Kevin will be going on Young Life staff. So this was the last chance for all of us to get together before they move 6+ hours away, which is extra sad since Kayla will be having a little baby boy in December. We feel like we don't get to see Henry and Oliver nearly enough and they are only an hour and a half away, so it will be hard not getting to see our newest nephew very often. But we are very excited for them and know the Lord has big things in store for them.

So that was pretty much my weekend. Got another busy week ahead. It seems like they are all busy weeks these days. Hope you all have a great week. I may not have much chance to update my blog, but I will definitely keep up with yours!

2 comments:

Callie said...

Happy late birthday! Nephews and nieces are so fun, it's too bad you won't be able to see them as often. :-(

Kristin said...

Sounds like loads of fun! Love the corn hole tourney!!!