Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christmas Gifting Season: Redirecting Christmas

For some reason I am always tempted to start every single blog post with "So...". Does anyone else have that issue or is it just me?

So...a few days ago I did a post on my thoughts on Christmas giving. And I said that I would be back with some ideas for cool gifts to give, or organizations to give to.

The first organization I want to highlight is called Sixty Feet. I came across this blog not too long ago, and immediately fell in love with the ministry they created.  They minister to children in Africa who have been imprisoned. That's right. Children. In prison. And not juvenile detention centers that we have in the U.S. Chained to the wall, neglected, malnourished, not taken care of, prison. And there are children of all ages, babies to teenagers. Brought to prison for various reasons. Some because they don't have parents, some because they are beggars, you get the idea. And this awesome ministry wants to build a home to rescue and care for the most vulnerable children in these prisons. You can read more about it here.

Basically they have received a $60,000 matching grant to match money donated towards building this facility. And so this Christmas season, this ministry is trying to raise $60,000 to be matched to rescue these children. I think it's an awesome cause to put some Christmas money towards, whether your donation is a gift to a loved one who has a heart for orphans and ministry in Africa, or whether you just want to redirect some of your Christmas funds to this worthy cause. Either way, I hope you'll at least take a look at the Sixty Feet website and learn more about what they're doing. It's tragic to know that this situation exists in this world, but so encouraging to see a family stepping out in faith and being the hands and feet of Jesus there.

No comments: