Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's the Ice Again!

One of the good things about living in central Kentucky is that we don't get a whole lot of snow. A few inches is a big deal around here. The not so good thing about living in central Kentucky is the ice storms. Growing up in Columbus, Ohio I had never experienced in ice storm in the first 18 years of my life. Then my sophomore year of college we got a big one. As in UK cancelled a few days of classes. Tree limbs were so weighed down with ice that they were touching the ground. Power lines sagged or even broke becuase of the weight of the ice. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. It was kind of like what you would picture the end of the world to look like.

A couple years ago, we had another pretty big ice storm. I think UK cancelled classes for that one too. My parents came down the following weekend, after a lot of it had already melted and were still amazed by the amount of ice on everything. There are trees in our neighborhood that still don't look the same because they lost so many limbs from the storm.

This morning, I am working from home because we have yet another ice storm. This one is not nearly so bad as the last two, but anytime you get ice accumulating on roads, trees and powerlines it's a little scary. Here are a couple pics from my yard.


And here is my coworker today - he is obviously having a very productive day!



No comments: